Immigrant Visa

Family-Based Visa Petition

U.S. citizens or other legal U.S. residents can petition for their foreign national family members to become lawful permanent residents of the United States.

There are two categories of family-based immigration:

  • Immediate relatives who are eligible for permanent residency without being placed on a waiting list – spouses, parents, and children under the age of 21 years old of a U.S. citizen

  • Preference relatives who are limited by quotas – unmarried adult children of a U.S. citizen, spouses and children of a U.S. green card holder, siblings of a U.S. citizen or permanent resident who is over the age of 21 years old

Family relationships typically need to be proven through documentation such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, or other legal paperwork.

To have your questions answered by a compassionate and experienced Lynn immigration attorney, contact us today at (781) 596-0151.

Adjustment Of Status

An adjustment of status is the process of acquiring lawful permanent residency by a non-immigrant who is already temporarily residing within the U.S. The process begins by a U.S. citizen filing an I-130 alien relative petition for a family-based visa. The foreign national must have lawful proof of entry into the country, and be admissible to the United States.

Special Case For Fiancé(E)S

The adjustment of status process is also the final step for fiancé(e)s of U.S. citizens who initially entered the U.S. with a non-immigrant K-1 visa. Once the foreign national enters the country with their K-1 visa, they have 90 days to marry the U.S. citizen and apply for adjustment.

Whatever your situation, a Lynn immigration attorney can help ensure that you correctly navigate the visa process. Careful attention to detail is necessary as the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will scrutinize those petitioning for their visa to ensure they have not violated the terms of their stay and are being honest in their intentions of becoming a permanent legal resident. If this is not found to be the case, the petitioner may be found to be in serious violation of immigration law.

You don’t need to handle this alone. You need an advocate. Contact Bos Legal today.